Brenda's Reviews > Here Burns My Candle

Here Burns My Candle by Liz Curtis Higgs

Mar 23, 10

bookshelves: christian, historical
Read on March 23, 2010

You know how sometimes you're in the mood for a fast-paced, edge of your seat novel, and sometimes you want something a little quieter--a little more reflective? Here Burns My Candle is the latter. It deals a lot with character growth, and that's really the meat of the story.

There was a smattering of Scottish words throughout (with a glossary in the back, in case you have trouble figuring out what the words mean), and to be honest, that's not really my thing. It distracts me and pulls me out of the story. But I've read other reviews where the readers felt that it added to the story, so it's definitely a personal preference thing.

The religion in this one isn't overwhelming, and I think the book could be enjoyed by a person who is not religious. On the other hand, I think a religious person would really enjoy what religion IS in there. The story is somewhat of a retelling of Ruth and Naomi's story in the Bible. I guess the nice thing about this story is that it could be enjoyed by anyone, and different people will get different things out of it, as with any good book.

I would recommend this to fans of historical fiction and Christian fiction.

This book was provided for review by the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here Burns My Candle.