Andrew Breslin's Reviews > The Key to Rebecca

The Key to Rebecca by Ken Follett

Jun 14, 11

Read in July, 2009

What's not to love about a good WWII spy novel? It's so easy to get sucked right in. You've got Nazis: they're the bad guys. No need to develop this. They are the bad guys. They are the ultimate bad guys. They are, in fact, about as bad as guys get. Outside of Sauron's legions of Mordor, you don't really have a better example of a total absence of moral ambiguity. And really: between Joseph Goebbels and the Witch King leader of the nazgul, it's a toss-up for sheer wickedness.

Most of us have a pretty good idea how the second world war actually turned out and who won. I won't give anything away for those who haven't. It's quite a suspenseful story and I'd hate to ruin it for you. But even knowing the ending doesn't detract from the tension that is carefully constructed here. In the hands of a skilled suspense writer, the reader somehow forgets. "Oooh! I hope they stop that Nazi bastard!" I shouted at my book. "Otherwise I'll eventually be reading this in German, and won't know what's going on!"

Spies, seduction, suspense. These are my guilty pleasures when I just need to get away from it all and immerse myself in a world of intrigue and ethical absolutes. And (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Key to Rebecca.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Andrew Breslin Just a general comment to people who have Liked my review: Thanks! Every now and then I get a message that someone liked one of my reviews and it makes my day. :)

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael If I made a comment about everything I have enjoyed about what you have written, I would be too busy to deal with my own stuff. I find you a kindred spirit. May you live long and prosper....Michael