Jaime Navarro's Reviews > What I Thought I Knew: A Memoir

What I Thought I Knew by Alice Eve Cohen

Mar 02, 2010

bookshelves: memiors, my-favorites
Read from April 14 to 19, 2010

This book touched me in a way I really didn’t expect. The story sounded compelling at first because she didn’t find out she was pregnant tell she was 6 months along and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how a women couldn’t know she was pregnant! What surprised me after I read it was that her not knowing is sort of the most logical part (albeit frustrating and sad but logical), it turned out the real richness of this book comes from the questions she faces after she knows and I was very inspired.
This is not a touchy feely “traditional” pregnancy story, this women’s pain is real and deep and the moral questions of what it means to be a mother made me stop and examine myself and my perceptions of motherhood.
Having no children myself this topic is completely hypothetical but the reactions it brought out in me are very real and I highly recommend this to any person (man or women) who would want to read a very touching and thought provoking story about what you thought you knew.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Thought I Knew.

04/16/2010 page 85