Lindsey's Reviews > The Geography of Girlhood

The Geography of Girlhood by Kirsten Smith

Okay, so the title "The Geography of Girlhood" sucks. I mean that is a severely cruddy title, but in many ways it truly reflects this novel. It was overly dramatic and very whiny. Penny goes from being a sweet, awkward 14 year old to a promiscuous teen for reasons not clearly explained in the novel. Sure, her mother abandoned her family, her boyfriend of five minutes died in a freak accident, and her best friend is hospitalized for being a nut-so, but why does Penny go "crazy"? I still can't figure it out. It would have been nice if Kirsten Smith had decided to empower Penny to be better than her sister, better than her popular obsessed friends, but that didn't happen. Pretty much this book says: "It is normal to screw up your life when bad stuff happens. Actually, it is expected. Go ahead--make bad choices! This is the excuse you've been waiting for!"

I will say there are a couple of poems that are good. All of the book isn't total crap, just most of it. I really enjoyed the verse titled "For the Ice-skater He loves". It had a great voice. It was witty and had great metaphors. If only the entire book was like this one poem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Geography of Girlhood.