Ashley's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Mar 12, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in March, 2010

Just to get this out of the way, Cormac McCarthy is an awesome name. Rolls off the tongue and is fun to say aloud.

Okay, the book! McCarthy's writing is fabulous. He sucks you into his world quickly and effortlessly. Next thing I knew I was 1/2 way through the book. The characters are only two: father and son. I just love how McCarthy uses the dialogue between them to establish their relationship.

I cannot imagine that this would be a great movie, although I know they just made one based on the book. I haven't seen the movie and I don't think I really want to after reading the book. It would ruin the experience for me I'm afraid. I think the story would appear overly simple in movie form I think - but in book, you understand that though the presentation is simple the emotions are not. The situation is not. It made me wonder, what would I do in that environment? Would I perish quickly, would I keep my morals and be one of the "good" people or would my desperation to survive push me to become one of the "bad" people?

Two thumbs up for me!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amber This is one of those books that stays with you. I read it a few years ago and I still vividly remember it. The relationship between the father and son is incredible. I think I would be much more emotional reading it now after being a mom - amazing the sacrifices he makes for his son. And how he can still have "hope" (or the illusion of) in such a bleak world. I haven't seen the movie either and, like you, I'm nervous that it would ruin what the story meant for me when I read it.

Have you read any of his other books?

Ashley No, but I'd be curious to now.