Diana's Reviews > John Rosemond's Six-Point Plan: For Raising Happy, Healthy Children

John Rosemond's Six-Point Plan by John Rosemond

Mar 02, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, bought-it
Read in March, 2010 — I own a copy

I'm reviewing the copy I own, his older edition which I picked up for $2 at the library book sale. I also checked out his *new* six-point plan which he revised a few years ago, to see what I'd be missing. Some ideas were more fleshed out, but I'm glad to have this one as a reference.

This book covers much of the same material as Family Building so check that review for most of his points. His 5 points there make up the first 4 points of this book.

Point 5, then is about choosing appropriate toys since less is more. Creativity is the key with toy selection, so the more uses a toy has, the better. Legos are his idea of a perfect toy, followed closely by other building toys (blocks, tinker toys, lincoln logs), toy cars or electric trains, small plastic figures or dolls, dollhouses, art materials, and hobby supplies. This chapter also has a section about giving kids back their games, meaning all the organized sports we're signing our kids up for are much less helpful than the sandlot games when the kids were in charge. Too bad there are no sandlots left anymore-- at least our kids have plenty of recess!

Point 6 is about turning off the TV. Less television viewing results in more creativity, better behavior, and fewer ADD diagnoses. Enough said!

A great read, but I'll be interested to read his Parenting by the Book next...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read John Rosemond's Six-Point Plan.