Laura's Reviews > The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections

The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule

Mar 02, 10

bookshelves: borrowed-from-public-library

I liked it, BUT...I have to agree with other reviewers that were a little put-off by the slightly smug tone. I don't think Amanda Blake Soule set out to say that her family is perfect and everyone else is doing it wrong, but frankly I felt like if she brought her kids over to my son's birthday party, I would worry about her raising her eyebrow over some of his plastic toys. I think some of her ideas are great (I've been looking into reconstructing cast-off clothes to make into clothing for my son, and have so far made two crappy shirts that don't fit him) but I would have liked to see more tutorials. Some ideas are cute and useful (family drawing time, teaching kids how to knit) but I really don't see myself boiling grass to use as dye when I can buy it from the store. I think in general some people might feel really inspired and have a few new ideas after reading this book, but others will come away feeling slightly chastised.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Creative Family.