Danielle's Reviews > The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer

The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp

Mar 02, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-read, picks, parenting
Read in March, 2010

I'd recommend getting the DVD instead of this book. It's just as repetitious, but it's much shorter to get through, and you don't miss anything from the book.

10,000 stars for the ideas contained within the book, 2 stars for presentation. The author is really repetitious with his ideas, so I ended up skimming most of it. However, the ideas work wonders for my baby!

The 5 S's were things that I naturally tried, either from instinct to comfort the baby or from experience/watching other mothers. But I wasn't using them effectively together, and that's what this book/DVD helped me to do.

My baby (currently 3 weeks old) is a pro night-sleeper, waking up to feed every 3-4 hours. However, during the day I have problems getting her to sleep for more than 1 hour at a time; even when she's in desperate need of a nap, she won't stay asleep. The methods in this book helped her sleep for longer stretches during the day (which means I can actually get something done!), which makes her less fussy when she's awake, and in turn she's much more fun to be around now!

For the record, she HATES having her arms swaddled, but when combined with the jiggling/white noise (we use radio static at a low volume), she loves a full swaddle.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiest Baby on the Block.