Jared Millet's Reviews > The Silver Spike

The Silver Spike by Glen Cook

May 03, 10

bookshelves: dark-fantasy, fantasy, sword-and-sorcery
Read from March 10 to April 30, 2010

While there are many, many things to like about this book, I'm forced to admit that it's my least favorite of the Black Company novels so far. Probably because the Black Company isn't in it.

The Silver Spike is a coda of sorts to the original Black Company trilogy, which ended with the Dominator defeated and buried in the Barrowland and the remaining survivors of the Company riding off into the sunset. This book opens up with a gang of scummy bastards digging the Dominator's soul back up again and setting another wave of evil events in motion.

In essence, The Silver Spike is a tightly plotted crime novel in an epic fantasy setting, which is a really cool idea if you think about it. The problem is that Cook never gives us a character we can root for. Case, the narrator of the story, is likable but so peripheral to the action that we never really care or feel that he's in danger. As for the rest of the cast, there are characters we'd like to see die, characters we don't care about, and a few supporting players from the first three Black Company books.

In a big way, The Silver Spike feels like it's tying up loose ends from the first three books that were never that loose to begin with. The central premise is excellent, but the story may have worked better if it hadn't been tied into the larger Black Company mythology.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Spike.