Corinne's Reviews > The History of Terrorism: From Antiquity to al Qaeda

The History of Terrorism by Gérard Chaliand

Nov 16, 07

bookshelves: didnt-like-didnt-finish, war
Read in December, 2007

Towards the beginning of the book, Blin goes about defining terrorism. In his definition he fairly much throws out nonviolence as a viable political strategy, claiming it only asks for power instead of harnessing power. Whatever, I'm sure this book will give folks some perspective - and it's obviously NOT intended a book about nonviolence - but his immediate dismissal of nonviolence colored the rest of the book all wrong for me.

I picked this up on a whim, and I suppose it was interesting enough, but I don't recommend it to folks who are just learning about political strategy. There is a lot of good information here for a reader with the time and inclination to sift through the pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of Terrorism.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Adam Christians I'm sorry. I understand your point of view, but the title of the book is "History of Terrorism" The author does not dismiss non-violence as an option, but rather focuses on the main point of the book, which is the study of terrorism. The author even states that “…nonviolent resistance is of practical value only when the challenged government refrains from using its power to break the resistance by force.” This book is exploring the historical, social, and political framework of terrorism and should be critiqued on that. Not on its stance of non-violence which is not the root of the thesis.

Corinne No need to be sorry. We can disagree. And who knows? I read it seven years ago. I might read it differently now and disagree with own comment.