April's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Nov 16, 2007

it was ok
Read in October, 2007

I admire the author for his extremely detailed perceptions of a future world recovering from a mass zombie plague, but I just couldn't finish this one. It is written like a case report, with each chapter functioning as a monologue/interview with people of various nations and occupations, all of whom lived through "World War Z." Because the author goes into such incredible detail about the political policies that are put into effect, the military strategies, medical procedures, pharmaceutical advancements, marketing campaigns, etc., it all seems totally plausible because the details are realistic, which I loved. Attack-by-zombies is one of the more exciting forms of apocalypse, in my opinion. But this book was not very exciting. Not enough thrills and chills to keep me reading. In fact, at some points there is so little mention of the zombies or the carnage, that you have to stop and think, "Why is this guy prattling on and on about government jurisdictions over international travel and what not? ...Oh, yeah! There was a global zombie infestation." Lame. I want to be apprehensive of the zombie attacks, not longing for them!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.

Jackie Munzar Could not, and hence will not try to, put it better.

Jess That is a perfect summary of the book.

The story just lacked... excitement. Which you think would be easy to create in a zombie book!

message 3: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa I'm in the same camp. The lack of plot is killing me while reading this book. I enjoy bits and pieces, but the whole is not to my liking.

Shakira I'm seriously considering not finishing this book! Its boring & I just expected more--much more!