Mark Dewey's Reviews > The Land That Time Forgot

The Land That Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Mar 11, 10

bookshelves: e-books, public-domain, adventure, science-fiction
Read from March 01 to 11, 2010

I loved this book. It's like a mix between Indiana Jones, Gulliver's Travels, Jurassic Park and a mutant sort of Planet of the Apes, with some other stuff thrown in.

I don't know that I've seen either of the movies (maybe parts of the first one, when I was a kid), but I recommend reading it first, as it is significantly different, from what I've read about the movies on Wikipedia. The book is rather short (only about 40k words, which is 10k words off being a long short story).

The writing style is definitely fast-paced and extremely easy to read/follow. It's quite enjoyable, although it's more of an action style mixed with a journal than something very descriptive or full of obvious literary devices.

The book ends well, but there are some things left unresolved: that's probably what the next two books are for: to tell us how these evolving people work, and maybe about those tadpole pools the native women used.

There is at least one thing that might not seem realistic, though: i.e. how the main character seems to have so much ammunition (without an explanation).

It takes half the book before they get to the island, but the first half is certainly interesting, too—submarine wars between them and the Germans, basically, and intrigue with prisoners, and the woman, Lys.

They do use an offensive term for the Germans throughout the story, so be warned of that (although I had not been familiar with the term before this book).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Land That Time Forgot.

03/03/2010 "Half-way done. I'm on chapter 5."
03/09/2010 "I'm about three fourths of the way through."