Tasmia's Reviews > Frederica

Frederica by Georgette Heyer

Mar 01, 10

bookshelves: read-in-the-past, 2011, reread-2011, audiobooks, heyers-i-dont-own-yet, rom-2013-08, reread-2013
Read in January, 2004

** spoiler alert ** It occurs to me that the repeated reminders that Alverstoke is really very, very selfish aside from the very, very few people that he chooses to care about ultimately detract from his appeal as a hero. By the end of the book he has learned to love Frederica and developed a fondness for Jessamy and Felix, and that might enough to satisfy anyone reading for a light-hearted romance. But that rather falls apart if you get to thinking about whether the book offers much in the way of compelling characters who change for the better. So, probably you shouldn't think about that.

I feel like Charis got thrown under a bus, or a stagecoach, halfway through the book. She starts out all aimiability, but then has to get stupidly entangled with Endymion for plot purposes.

On my third go-through of the book I have settled on Jessamy as my favourite character. Alverstoke's interactions with him, and his relationships with Frederica, Felix, and Harry make the story delightfully human, which is satisfying on a level beyond the story of Alverstoke and Frederica coming together by fits and starts. Jan 1/12
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frederica.