Nan's Reviews > Beautiful Creatures

bookshelves: young-adult, rural-fantasy, gothic
Recommended to Nan by: Gea
Recommended for: Angie Thompson, Gena
Read from May 04 to 06, 2010 , read count: 1

I got this book through the Bookswap, and it was well worth the $4 I spent on it.

Unlike the current trends in supernatural YA books, this is not a vampire or angel novel. It's a good, old fashioned Southern Gothic.

Ethan has been having disturbing dreams ever since his mother's death; he dreams of a girl, of her hand slipping from his, and disaster. That, and the smell of lemon and rosemary, is about all he can remember of it. He hasn't told anyone about these dreams. His father is tied up in the study writing a novel. His caretaker is a woman named Amma who believes in leaving charms about the house to keep out evil. His best friend, Link, isn't that much of a confidante.

Then, everything changes. A new girl, Lena, arrives at the school. The kids go from excited about the new kid to hating her in three seconds flat--she's not enough, apparently, because she's Old Man Ravenwood's neice. He's the local shut-in, and her tie to him damns her to social isolation. Except that Ethan can't leave her alone; he realizes almost immediately that she's the girl of his dreams--literally.

This is a big, thick, novel, but it doesn't feel bloated. The authors create and populate a fully realistic small town, and Gatlin is as much a character in the story as Ethan and Lena. I'm not from the South, so I can't comment on the portrayal of a Southern town. However, I am from a small town in the Midwest, and Garcia and Stohl have captured small town life on these pages. They show the power struggles of the town, as the established families seek to control its future. They show how the teens mimic those same strategies in the high school. And they show what it means to turn your back on it all and place yourself outside of the small town society.

I loved this book, and I can't wait to read the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Creatures.

05/05/2010 page 133