Tracy's Reviews > The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

Mar 16, 10

Read from March 01 to 15, 2010

A bit self-indulgent on the author's part (but what memoir-type book isn't?), The Happiness Project chronicles Gretchen Rubin's Gretchen Rubin year-long quest to find happiness. She stresses throughout the book that she was not glum or depressed before starting the project (in fact many of her friends commented that she's already happy!), but her quest was to find a calmer, more organized life to have time for the things that mattered most.

Each month she focused on a resolution, from organizing to playing to being nice to meditating. The way she's set up the book - by month, then by goal, and sometimes by sub-goal - made for easy reading.

What will stick with me most from this book:

- Hugging is most effective if you do it for at least 6 seconds. It melts away stress and helps you feel better.

- Acknowledging others' (particularly those of children) feelings when they are upset is an ultimately effective tool in helping them calm down. IE: "You are upset you have to clean up your toys."

- One quote: "The days are long, but the years are short."

An overall good book, not my favorite. I do love the author's blog, The Happiness Project.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Project.