LFPL Teen Services's Reviews > Does My Head Look Big In This?

Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah

Nov 16, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: realisticfiction

Amal is a junior in high school. She lives in Melbourne, Australia and is an Australian-Muslim-Palestinian. She is already struggling with her identity as a native-born Muslim Australian when she decides to wear the hijab full-time. Muslim women often wear the hijab, or head scarf, in public or around males who are not family members. Contrary to what everyone thinks, she was not forced to hide or cover up because of religious reasons or even strict parents. She made the decision of her own free will and the more she is challenged, the more adamantly she feels about her decision. Amal shares lots of laughs and typical teenage woes with her friends and crushes. Amal simultaneously learns some important life lessons after many failed attempts at communicating with her crotchety old neighbor and witnessing the unfair treatment of her friend, Leila. In the end, Amal reconciles herself with her religious identity and the unfairness, or perhaps ignorance, of the world.
Lindsey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Does My Head Look Big In This?.