Christina's Reviews > In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

A very famous novel, one of the first non-fiction novels - and a novel that has gotten a lot of hype the last couple of years with movies, an oscar etc. I haven't seen any of the movies - but I enjoyed reading this book. Especially the last part of the book where you get to know what really happened. The book isn't a murder mystery - almost from page one you know who are going to get killed and who did it. The question that keeps you turning the pages is 'why did they do it?'.
The book is about the real and very brutal murders of the Clutter family, the parents and two kids, and Capote spend 6 years researching it and writing it - from the day of the murders all the way to the end.
I also read the book as an argument against death penalty - none of the murderers in this book are in any way deterred by it - and even though in this book, you are not in anyway in doubt that the murderers really did it, I still don't think it right for the state to kill.
Note: Had a bit of a hard time deciding what category to put this in - fiction or non-fiction. Finally settled on non-fiction since Capote described it as a non-fiction novel...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Cold Blood.