Kate Scott's Reviews > The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

Mar 01, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult, historical-fiction, favorites
Read on March 01, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This is the most moving book I have ever read. I have read a lot of moving books before, but this one was different. At the end of it, I felt as though someone had just wrenched my heart right out of my chest. It's the type of book that leaves you stunned, horrified, and utterly devastated. Next to the Bible, it's quite possibly the most brilliant book I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

I don't want to tell you exactly what it's about, because I believe it's important to begin without really knowing what you're reading about, with a sense of child-like naiveté, because the story is told from the perspectives of children who don't fully understand their circumstances and surroundings. All I can do it tell you to go read it. Read it now. It won't take long, perhaps three or four hours total. It's a very short, simple book. I promise that you will look at the world differently after reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

11/14/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Al (new)

Al Good review. I read this right after I read Schindler's List and I felt the same way. After seeing the list of reviews for this book, I was beginning to wonder if I had read the same book.