Michelle's Reviews > Romancing Miss Brontë

Romancing Miss Brontë by Juliet Gael

Apr 11, 10

bookshelves: biographical, british, fiction, firstreads, 2010, books-i-own
Read from March 13 to 26, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Surprise! Romancing Miss Bronte is a semi-romantic novel based on a historical artistic woman, and I actually liked it for the most part.

Here's what I liked: Author Juliet Gael actually include some biography in with her fantasy romance--actually most of the book is about how Charlotte Bronte and her sisters wrote the books they are known for and managed to get them published. I was interested in learning more about the author of Jane Eyre, which I'm a fan of, and after reading this, I'm excited to start reading Villette, one of Bronte's other novels.

Gael's novel also tells the story of Arthur Nicholls, a man who arrives as a curate to work under Charlotte's father, but who falls in love with the her, and manages to win her heart. All of this sounds a bit cliche? Yeah, it is, but the parts leading up to Nicholls' confession of love are well-written, interesting, and reveal a lot about a woman who wrote novels from her own experiences and desires.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Romancing Miss Brontë.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle another win from firstreads.