MissDziura's Reviews > Phineas Gage: A Gruesome but True Story About Brain Science

Phineas Gage by John Fleischman

Mar 07, 10

bookshelves: informational-biography
Read from March 01 to 05, 2010

John Fleischman's "gruesome but true story" about Phineas Gage is a good read for middle school and high school students, probably appealing most to boys. The book begins with the telling of Gage's accident, where a tampering rod went through his head yet he lived to tell about it. While reading this chapter I was fascinated with Fleischman's storytelling and the accident itself. The remaining chapters become very scientific, and at parts so technical it is hard to follow. However, I can see several uses for Phinea's story. One it is a great suggestion for reluctant boy readers who happen to enjoy the gruesome and unbelievable. In addition, the medical information that is provided regarding brain science, could be a good resource for science students working on research regarding the brain, or evolution of medicine. The 75-page book is filled with text, text boxes, diagrams, models and pictures that add to the story of Phineas Gage. I highly recommend it!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phineas Gage.