MJ Nicholls's Reviews > The Wasp Factory

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

Mar 01, 10

bookshelves: novels, hoots-mon, the-art-of-loathing

When I first read it I disliked it intensely. When I read it again, I was bored stiff. Not a winner in my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wasp Factory.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Steven "Two years after I killed Blyth I murdered my young brother Paul, for quite different and more fundamental reasons than I'd disposed of Blyth, and then a year after that I did for my young cousin Esmerelda, more or less on a whim."

I dislike this sentence structure.

message 2: by MJ (new) - rated it 1 star

MJ Nicholls Exactly. It is, to quote The Thick of it, "double wank and shit chips."

Steven It feels like he squashed two sentences into one because he wanted the classic memorable first line.

Karl Quite enjoyed this book, and I love the way to this day interviewers and fans still ask him about secret meanings and what's-it-all-about questions, and he laughs it all off.
It is what it is.

Steven The fans think more about it than he did, I suspect.

Karl That's a giving :-) Fans!

knig Show some Scopttish support! Its a great Victor Victoria chamber piece, except for when the (s)he doesn't know it. And, who doesn't like maggot brain soup?

message 8: by MJ (last edited Nov 12, 2012 01:05AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

MJ Nicholls Bah. Empty shock fodder.

message 9: by Lynne (last edited Aug 03, 2013 01:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynne King I'm reading this book now MJ and I'm rather taken with the author's writing style. I read an excellent review by Richard yesterday and purchased it there and then for my Kindle.

It is rather upsetting in parts, I agree, but the late Iain Banks, has a winner here. In my opinion anyway. What a boring world it would be if we all had the same taste!

message 10: by MJ (last edited Aug 03, 2013 11:57AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

MJ Nicholls Lynne wrote: "What a boring world it would be if we all had the same taste! "

Indeed! Never been able to enjoy a Banks novel.

message 11: by Nick (new) - rated it 1 star

Nick Wellings I thought Banks' "The Bridge" was OK. Pretty cute conceit.