Ryan's Reviews > Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

Mar 15, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from February 28 to March 10, 2010

I put off reading this for ages, concluding that I'd seen the movie and would feel like I was going through the motions. Not the case; the two are very much distinct creations. Fundamental differences abound. For example, the movie postulates an over-crowded megalopolis; the book, a world depopulated by ecological disaster after a vaguely described war. In the wake of the book, I want to go back and watch Blade Runner again. Surprisingly, there are correspondences from PKD expressing admiration for the film. A closer comparison is necessary to see if their core is the same. My feeling is that that they are quite different. The book focuses its philosophy on an exploration of empathy: man for man, man for android, man for animal, android for android / man / animal. The religious thread is completely missing from the film.

In sum, if you've skipped the book because of the film, that shouldn't bar you. It stands alone a ranks highly among PKDs more entertaining achievements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.

03/09/2010 page 25
03/11/2010 page 55
22.54% "Put off for a long time figuring I'd seen Bladerunner innumerable times. No excuse it turns out; they are very independent creations."