Christine's Reviews > Second Sight

Second Sight by Amanda Quick

Feb 28, 2010

bookshelves: romance, suspense-thriller, paranormal

I got confused by the fact that this author writes under both Amanda Quick and Jayne Ann Krentz, so even though this is the first book in the Arcane Society series, I read it 2nd. For those who are unaware, Amanda Quick is the pseudonym for her historical romance novels, including those novels in the Arcane Society series that take place in 19th century England. Jayne Ann Krentz is the pseudonym she uses for modern novels, including the Arcane Society novels that take place in modern-day America. She actually writes under yet another name -- Jayne Castle, but I'm not sure what distinguishes those books since I have yet to read any of them.

I am finding this to be an entertaining series, although at the moment I am very slightly preferring the modern-day novels to the historicals.

In this particular book, we have a woman who can read auras and a man who is a psychic hunter teaming up to solve the mystery of who stole the founder's formula -- a dangerous discvoery designed to enhance psychic abilities. In fact, all of the books I have read so far have something to do with the founder's formula and each build slightly on the others (though it didn't hurt to have read this out of order).

This book is a decent mystery, an engaging thriller, a fun paranormal, and a romantic love story. It was not a challenging read, but it was an enjoyable page-turner that I would recommend to anyone who enjoys romance, mystery/suspense, or paranormal.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Sight.

rivka The Jayne Castle books are SF, set in the future and/or on other planets.

Christine I was wondering if that were the case, given how she's applied her other two names. I'll definitely have to check out one of those when I'm finished with this series.

message 3: by Liz B (new)

Liz B Doesn't she have another pseudonym, too, for sweeter contemporaries?

I'm digging this way, way out of my memory...I was a huge JAK fan in high school. She wore me out with Amanda Quick, though--I can never remember which of those I've already read.

Christine I checked out her website, which talks about the three pseudonyms and why she uses them. I didn't see anything about a 4th name but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Sometimes authors purposely segregate pen names if there is a drastic difference or need.

message 5: by Liz B (new)

Liz B Well, the name came to me--Anne Maxwell. And it turns out it's a pseudonym for Elizabeth Lowell, not JAK. Who I was also reading a lot of at the time!