Julie's Reviews > Planetes, Book 4.1

Feb 28, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: manga, science-fiction, triple-take
Read in February, 2010

Where did the plot go? Just when you think you're following Hachimaki's story.. he's completely absent from this volume.

Instead, we get some sort of.. side stories, backstories, for some of the other characters. And I have to admit to being pretty lost on some of them. A woman's son standing up to her when he's the one who has a billion dogs in the apartment and is clearly in the wrong leads her to stand up to a government who's been planting space mines. Or something.

Also, there's an alien. Maybe. He could just be a freaky creep. He doesn't know human norms and cultural stuff. So he feels up a woman's breast. Then later apologizes. Gripping stuff.

Then there's pages and pages of technobabble. Written by whom? The mangaka? Maybe. It's never clear to me. Is it background information about space science? Well, sort of. Is it background information on the world of Planetes? Well, sort of. Is it in serious need of copyediting? You betcha. Is it pretty darned boring? Oh yea.

And a final peeve -- all of starts of the chapters were originally in color. And in previous volumes, they didn't bother colorizing more than the first one. In this volume, there are some glossy color ones. But only for some of the chapters! It was nice. But it was annoyingly inconsistent!

So, this volume rather ticked me off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Planetes, Book 4.1.