Carl's Reviews > Pushing Ice

Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds

Feb 28, 10

bookshelves: currently-reading

I love discovering new space-based hard-sci-fi, and I've heard good things about Alastair Reynolds-- but I've got to say, this just looks like a more fleshed out sampling of Arthur C Clarke motifs so far-- lots of Rendezvous with Rama, plus a bit of 2010 with the Chinese as the bad guys racing to be first. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it does make me wish I were trying something a little more original of his. I do like reading fiction written by scientists (though I thought he must be a bit off having them exploring an asteroid with a ton of depleted uranium in their suits-- might make them weigh enough, but the inertia must be impossible to handle. But maybe I have something wrong, since Reynolds is an astrophysicist and I'm just a mythologist). Just read most of a chapter with several successive one-on-ones between captain and chief engineer-- maybe it was just supposed to reflect the empty time as they travel towards their destination, but it just felt like a poorly coordinated group of plot points. Well, the prose is way better than what I've been reading in Peter Hamilton's work, so I guess I can't complain too much. We'll see whether the overall plot in Pushing Ice matches up with the grandeur of Hamilton's-- though I will note, I wish I'd never picked up Hamilton-- worth reading once you've started, sure, and there is some intriguing and detailed world-building going on, but just doesn't do it for me enough that I feel like it's worth missing out on other books in the meantime. Reynolds, I'm reserving judgment on for the time being.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pushing Ice.