Amy's Reviews > The Everything Parent's Guide to Children with Dyslexia: All You Need to Ensure Your Child's Success

The Everything Parent's Guide to Children with Dyslexia by Jody Swarbrick

Nov 15, 07

bookshelves: learning-styles-shelf
Read in January, 2006

Helpful if you're going to go the traditional route with a non-traditional learner. We chose to go the non-traditional route, so this book wasn't all that helpful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Everything Parent's Guide to Children with Dyslexia.

Shelley really - I thought Abigail gave excellent coverage to several non-traditional methods - did you read her coverage of the Davis method?

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy Yes. Parts of the Davis method were useful. Tradition public schools where I live use none of the methods that have been the most helpful to us. We have found schools that use a multi sensory approach to be the most helpful.

Shelley I think most schools the world over are pretty hopeless at dealing with dyslexia - or anybody who doesn't quite fit the 'average.' And yes multi-sensory is the best. If you use any of the Davis stuff - the orientationtechnique is the absolute key. Lots of people miss that part out and go directly to the clay - which is helpful but the orientation corrects the perception so they can 'see' and then when they do the clay work, it is retained because they have mastered it in an orientated state. Best of luck with your journey. Our dyslexic daughter is now 22, noticed by me at age 7 as struggling, not acknowledged or diagnosed until age 14 - but she is in University now. A bright, creative and talented individual. Good luck with your journey.