MT's Reviews > Neverwhere

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Feb 28, 10

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neverwhere.

Quotes MT Liked

Neil Gaiman
“He had noticed that events were cowards: they didn't occur singly, but instead they would run in packs and leap out at him all at once.”

Neil Gaiman
“I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept.”

Neil Gaiman
“I mean, maybe I am crazy. I mean, maybe. But if this is all there is, then I don't want to be sane.”

“Beware of Doors.”

Neil Gaiman
“You've a good heart. Sometimes that's enough to see you safe wherever you go. But mostly, it's not.”

Neil Gaiman
“Richard did not believe in angels, he never had. He was damned if he was going to start now. Still, it was much easier not to believe in something when it was not actually looking directly at you and saying your name.”

Neil Gaiman
“He..." Richard began. "The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me."

Door stopped. The steps dead-ended in a rough brick wall. "Mm," she agreed. "He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur.”
tags: humor

Neil Gaiman
“What's it like then?" asked Old Bailey. "Being dead?"
The marquis sighed. And then he twisted his lips up into a smile, and with a glitter of his old self, he replied, "Live long enough, Old Bailey, and you can find out for yourself.”

Neil Gaiman
“So the day became one of waiting, which was, he knew, a sin: moments were to be experienced; waiting was a sin against both the time that was still to come and the moments one was currently disregarding. ”

Neil Gaiman
“We have to get the... the thing I got... to the Angel. And then he'll tell Door about her family, and he'll tell me how to get home."
Lamia looked at Hunter with delight. "And he can give you brains," she said, cheerfully, "and me a heart.”

Neil Gaiman
“Richard began to understand darkness: darkness as something solid and real, so much more than a simple absence of light. He felt it touch his skin, questing, moving, exploring: gliding through his mind. It slipped into his lungs, behind his eyes, into his mouth...”

Neil Gaiman
“Rubbish!" screamed a fat, elderly woman, in Richard's ear, as he passed her malodorous stall. "Junk!" She continued. "Garbage! Trash! Offal! Debris! Come and get it! Nothing whole or undamaged! Crap, tripe, and useless piles of shit. You know you want it.”

Neil Gaiman
“For a moment he thought she was about to hit him, which would have been bad, or even start crying, which would have been much, much worse.”

Neil Gaiman
“I'm going to go home. Everything is going to be normal again. Boring again. Wonderful again.”