Crystal's Reviews > The Summoner

The Summoner by Gail Z. Martin

Mar 02, 10

Recommended for: fans of Eragon
Read from February 25 to March 01, 2010

I'm usually not very critical of books outside of whether I liked them or not, but The Summoner is an exception to this rule. The cover is excellent, the summary intriguing. One does not see necromancers as the good guys very often, or at all, really. With even the protagonist using what's generally considered dark/evil magic, I expected a dark, gritty fantasy.

What I read was not. In fact, it reads very much like YA. I don't know if the book was miss-marketed or what, but this is definitely not the dark fantasy hinted at on the cover. The main character is twenty going on twelve, complete with such overwhelming concerns such as whether his friends will still like him when they find out he talks to ghosts. Yeah. Said friends are little better, even the soldiers and mercenary. It would be slightly more tolerable if the story was plot-driven and didn't take almost half the book to actually start.

If you can put up with the 100+ pages of them wandering around angsting and reinforcing what a bad man the antagonist is, you'll find the story, once it gets going, turns out to be all right if you like basic chosen one/quest-type stories. If you don't usually read a lot of fantasy and like books such as Eragon, you'll probably find The Summoner to be a lot more enjoyable than I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summoner.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shenandoah I agree YA is exactly what I thought. Was hoping it would be more serious.

message 2: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Hahaha... Eragon...

message 3: by Garrett (new)

Garrett I haven't finished the book yet. And like you, I'm not very critical of books, but yeah, you're on point. Tristan acts like he's 12 or something.

I'm on a search for a really good book, any ideas? I loved 'The Night Angel' trilogy. I even cried in that book. I LOVE 'The Name of the Wind'. Cried in that one also. And I really like how it just followed the main character. I read the first 3 books of 'The Sword of Truth' and loved them. And I like 'Game of Thrones' . Any ideas?

message 4: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Garrett wrote: "I haven't finished the book yet. And like you, I'm not very critical of books, but yeah, you're on point. Tristan acts like he's 12 or something.

I'm on a search for a really good book, any ideas?..."

Sounds like you enjoy epic fantasy. I'd try anything by Brandon Sanderson, if you haven't read his stuff yet. Brent Weeks (Night Angel) also has a new trilogy on its way out, called Lightbringer. The first book of that series is The Black Prism. Joe Abercrombie is also a great fantasy author.

Crystal Garrett wrote: "I haven't finished the book yet. And like you, I'm not very critical of books, but yeah, you're on point. Tristan acts like he's 12 or something.

I'm on a search for a really good book, any ideas?..."

Brandon Sanderson is a good one. Give Warbreaker a shot; it's a stand alone with an interesting magic system. Also try Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle, starting with The Warded Man.

For character-based stories there's always the classics, Robin Hobb and Lois McMaster Bujold. Assassin's Apprentice and The Curse of Chalion, respectively.

Joe Abercrombie is very good, also very graphic. Best Served Cold is a good place to start without the commitment of a series.