Krista Ashe's Reviews > The Shack

The Shack by Wm. Paul Young

Feb 27, 10

bookshelves: my-110-of-2010-books
Read in February, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I'm sort of cheating on this one since I started it in 2009, and I'm finishing it and counting it as my 2010! I had heard a lot of hype about the book. The obvious one being that it was a self-published book, sold out of a man's trunk, and that by world of mouth had gotten him a deal and then it became #1 on the NY Times. That in itself is awe inspiring, but I also wanted to read it b/c of the religious message.

I found the beginning very compelling with the camping trip that led up to murder of Mac's daughter, Missy. It had a quality that a train wreck where you didn't want to turn away as you read the horrible details. I also liked how the Great Sadness of her death consumed him, and when he got the letter from Papa, his wife's name for God, inviting him to the shack where his daughter's body was found. I was also in shock wtih Mac as he met the Holy Trinity in unexpectant forms: God as a black woman, the Holy Spirit as a woman, and Jesus as a blue jean wearing carpenter.

But it was basically the middle of the book that dragged and made me stop reading. I think a lot of the "around the table, mystery of life, Papa, Jesus, and Saryou talking could have been edited. It jsut felt a little too preachy in the vast scheme of hte novel with other scenes and all. It picked up for me midway when Mac and Jesus went fishing and Mac got to walk on water and see his daughter again.

I do think it's a great book for anyone who has suffered loss. Mac brings up most of the questions that people of faith ask. Why does God allow these things to happen? Doesn't he love me? Does he want evil to prevail, etc. And the way he weaves in the message of what God is really about it truly amazing. I'd recommend this book to anyone of faith or anyone searching for answers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shack.