Elizabeth Weltin's Reviews > Moloka'i

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

Dec 21, 07

bookshelves: couldn-t-finish
Read in December, 2007

I had high hopes for this book. Living in a Polynesia I was excited to learn more about what Hawaii was really like before it was a $1000 or less vacation, especially the aspect of the leper colony on Molokai.

Unfortunately, the writing was very flat. The author is a LA screenwriter and you could tell. This would have been better if written by a Hawaiian I think. Someone who knows what it feels like to live in the tropics day in, day out.

I was also disappointed by the story of the leper colony. It just seemed to have been cuted up and a regurgitation of facts. When the lighthouse was built. When they got electricity, etc.

I think this was a good concept and it would have done better in another's hands.

I rarely don't finish books, but I couldn't finish this one. I was just not captivated by the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moloka'i.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa Long The whole time I was reading the book I was thinking it was so talkie and read like a screenplay, never really bringing you into the moment. Now I know why!

message 2: by Bev (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bev Putnam Just couldn't feel it either.

Jasmine No emotional attachment to any characters for me. Couldn't even finish the book