Crystal's Reviews > Never Blame the Umpire

Never Blame the Umpire by Gene Fehler

Feb 28, 10

bookshelves: for-review, read-feb-2010
Read from February 27 to 28, 2010

This is an amazing book. From the first page, Kate took me right into the story and I could relate to so many things that were going on when I was a kid.

Kate is at the start of one of the best summers of her life until her parents bring her the news that her mother has cancer and it is inoperable. The rest of the book follows Kate and her family through the summer and how they deal with the coming death of a beloved family member.

I have never been a big fan of poetry but I thoroughly enjoyed the poetry that Kate wrote in this book. I see poetry now as a wonderful expression of feelings. Mr. Fehler does an amazing job writing a young teenage girl though don't let that shy boys away from reading this book either. Kate is athletic and plays sports and her gender figures in less in this story than her place as a child in a family dealing with upcoming death. I think this book can help either gender deal well with this topic as Kate is in that zone of being a young adult before boys and girls separate fully to chase each other for dating and liking. So her problems and the way she deals with them can help both boys and girls.

This is a beautiful book and the full focus is not on the death - but on the life they live and the valuable lessons that can be taught on how to trust God even when tragedies happen.

It was funny but I could relate on both sides of Kate and her Mom. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was in college and I remember the day I came home to both parents at home (both worked at the time) and how I knew something was wrong. I could also relate as a mom because I thought I was given a death sentence last spring when they didn't know what was wrong with me. I immediately wanted to do everything with my kids that I could. My story thankfully ends better than Kate's mom (they found out it was something entirely different and much more treatable than spinal cancer).

There are beautiful lessons to be learned in this and a great way for children to understand and cope with death of a loved one. I loved Kate's mom's ultimate lesson in this book and how true it really is if you think about it.

A beautiful book from start to finish - I think this can appeal to all ages but is focused on young adults. I enjoyed reading it and will hang on to this one to share with others.

Mr. Fehler writes an amazing story and got me to like poetry, that says a lot

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Blame the Umpire.