Nancy's Reviews > The Historian

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Feb 27, 10

bookshelves: you-have-to-read-this-they-said
Read in February, 2010

I quite liked this book, in spite of the length. The story unfolded in a tiered sort of fashion with three narrators. Personally, I didn't have any difficulty in keeping track of who was speaking in any particular chapter, perhaps because I read it in rather short order so didn't have to try and pick up any threads as I went along.

I am not a fan of vampire fiction but that aspect is almost secondary to the story as it is really about the obsession of the search (or a search or any search). On the whole, I liked the major and secondary characters. I found that there was the sense of dread that cropped up at times but it never really materialized into anything concrete for most of the characters, even at the end. That wasn't entirely necessary for me, but for people who enjoy more supernatural stories, that might have been a disappointment.

I liked the writing style and how the story essentially unfolded. It wasn't a suspense story but an obsession story and as that, it played that out reasonably well. She left the ending in an interesting state of resolution and that was a nice touch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Historian.