Jackie "the Librarian"'s Reviews > I Love Guinea Pigs

I Love Guinea Pigs by Dick King-Smith

Feb 27, 2010

bookshelves: childrensbooks, favorites, humor, non-fiction, picturebooks
Read in February, 2010

Before I came across this book, I did not like guinea pigs. The only ones I'd ever met were squeaky, bitey animals who weren't socialized to like people. It's hard to like animals that bite you when you try to pet them!

Plus, I accidentally lost my cousins' guinea pig when I was 12, so I have guinea pig guilt, too. (If you bring a guinea pig out on in the yard to eat grass, you have to keep an eye on it, or it WILL disappear.)

But this book make me a convert. King-Smith's description of these adorably shaped, affectionate talkers actually makes me consider getting one (I won't, I have cats). Did you know that baby guinea pigs are born fully furred and ready to run around? Or eat and talk, which are guinea pigs two favorite things to do? Well, they are!

The affection for the pigs shines through both the text and the pictures, of guinea pigs eating, playing, talking, and looking sweet and impossibly cute.

Warning: Don't show this book to your kids unless you want a guinea pig for a pet. :)
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love Guinea Pigs.

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 8: by Misha (last edited Feb 27, 2010 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Misha Not that I want to enable you, but I never had any problems having two cats and a guinea pig. The cats were fascinated by the guinea pig for about the first 48 hours, and they'd watch her scamper around her cage like it was a cliffhanger episode of Lost. But then they pretty much lost interest and never tried to get inside the cage or even to bother her when I let her out to run around on the couch (supervised, of course). And one of my cats was a mouser.

Just in case you do get one, guinea pigs do not enjoy hamster balls. They just sit in them and poop rather than walking around and exploring.

message 7: by Lori (last edited Feb 27, 2010 03:34PM) (new)

Lori like it was a cliffhanger episode of Lost

*spurts out water*

HAHAHAHA!

I've also known people who keep guinea pigs with cats.

Jackie "the Librarian" HAHAHAHAHA!!! Misha, thank you for the hamster ball info. It made my day! :)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer Well, I don't like how they smell, and I never thought them especially cute, but I'll read this book anyway. Maybe I'm missing something!

Jackie "the Librarian" Krista the Krazy Kataloguer wrote: "Well, I don't like how they smell, and I never thought them especially cute, but I'll read this book anyway. Maybe I'm missing something!"

It made me smile, Krista. I think you'll like it, even if you don't change your mind about guinea pigs.

Abigail, it won't take you long to read it. :)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer Oh, I'm sure I'll like it. Dick King-Smith is a wonderful author. He makes pigs seem irresistible!

message 2: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan I don't think guinea pigs would be of much interest to cats as prey. They're too big.

I have pet rats, and I have a cat, and although my cat is quite interested in the rats and enjoys watching them in their cage, it has never tried to attack them and I think the rats would kick its butt if it did. Guinea pigs are bigger than rats.

message 1: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Mar 02, 2010 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jackie "the Librarian" They may be bigger than rats, but I don't think guinea pigs have the same ferocity as rats, Meaghan. Rats are predators, guinea pigs are prey. They run away from danger. Okay, and they bite, sure.

But you're right, my cats would be scared of a guinea pig, not attack it. They're wusses. :)