Allen's Reviews > Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cure

Spiritual Depression by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

Nov 16, 07

Read in May, 2007

The author addresses a very common topic that has many causes. The book is arranged as a series of sermons that the author preached during the mid-twentieth century. Lloyd-Jones preaches in the Puritan style: a single passage of Scripture is exposited and applied to the topic of interest. Each chapter addresses a different topic and progresses the theme from personal characteristics of those who are most likely affected by "spiritual depression" to possible causes to the cure.

I have never read a book before that aligned so well with my personal experiences, both past and present. I learned the causes of my "religious" depression. The main one was a fundamental misunderstanding I had about Christianity. Read chapter 2, "The True Foundation" (or read Romans 3:28 and think about its implications).

I learned that though there are many possible causes behind spiritual depression, the ultimate cause is selfishness. The author makes the point that spiritual depression is not to be overcome in order for a person to feel better about themselves. In fact, if feeling better is your goal, you will not overcome the depression. Instead the purpose is to free the person for a life of service: love God and love others, freely.

The final cure is to experience God's peace as you believe that He is present with you and is for you (Phil. 4:6-7), and therefore to be content and thankful in all circumstances (Phil 4:10-12). The author states that the only way this is possible is to believe the promise that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Phil. 4:13)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spiritual Depression.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter Krol I've wanted to read this one for a while, Allen, but I haven't. Your review certainly makes it sound interesting and helpful! I need to check this one out at some point.