Lavinia's Reviews > Brave New World

Feb 27, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, fiction, in-en
Read from June 20 to 25, 2010

I won't mention anything about the book's plot since it's a kind of cult book, already; every top 100 includes it. I gave it a comfortable 3*** appreciation so I wouldn't be blamed for not liking it, or, Ford forbid! liking it too much. Kiddin' :)
Actually, for someone who isn't keen on dystopias and sci-fi and doesn't read them on a regular basis, Brave New World really stands out. It might lack style, substance, tension or a strong central character (those who compare it to Orwell's 1984 often complain about these things), but it has a strong point and Huxley's ideas are closer to what the future might look like, I suppose.

I found this comic strip that is supposed to be quite explanatory for the Brave New World vs 1984 debate.

P.S. All 3 books written by Huxley I've read so far (Two or Three Graces, Eyeless in Gaza, Brave New World) are totally different from each other. What is this guy's style, anyway?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

Anca ai terminat-o deja? eu azi am inceput-o si am adormit. spune-mi ca-i mai faina mai incolo.

message 2: by Lavinia (last edited Jun 25, 2010 11:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lavinia Ii. Poate depinde si cu ce asteptari pleci. Mie cred ca mi-a placut un pic mai mult decit 1984, ca tot se fac nenumarate comparatii intre ele.

Lavinia Sean wrote: "There is much to recommend this book. But the single most handy thing to stick with me from this book is the concept of an Epsilon-Semi-Moron. Looking forward to your review!"

I'm afraid my review lacks zest, but, as you said, the whole concept of Epsilon-Semi-Moron, and even Alphas Plus or Betas is completely terrifying. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'd rather be an Epsilon than a dysfunctional Alpha, like Bernard.