Alex's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Jul 16, 14

Kasuo Ishiguro's a genius for describing very subtle emotional states and quiet, layered interactions in succinct ways. Does that make sense? His characters feel and do complicated things, but his writing isn't showy.

It's an interesting plot he's got here, too, because it's a little rare for a quiet storyteller like Ishiguro to pick a sortof scifi-y setting for a story like this - and I'm sure it helped his sales, too, because "creepy scifi boarding school" sounds way better than "a butler is disappointed," although for that matter so would absolutely anything. But basically anything Ishiguro does, whether it sounds hella boring or like there might be robots, is just a framework for him to tell quiet stories about inner lives. And I think he's wonderful at that.

I used the word "quiet" three times. WHATEVER.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cecily (last edited Nov 05, 2013 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cecily If you don't think Atwood's "Handmaid's Tale" is sci-fi, surely this isn't either (or have I misunderstood the comments on your review of "Cat's Eye")?

Alex Good question, and the only defense I have is that I wrote this quite a while ago and clearly without giving it a ton of thought.

Cecily Fair enough. :)