Stray's Reviews > Wings

Oct 16, 11

bookshelves: zzz-2010, in-english
Recommended for: faerie lovers
Read on October 15, 2011, read count: 1

RE-READ IN 2011: I really have to read Spells now :)

-------
Publisher, year: Harperteen, 2009
Page total: 294
Date Read: 21st june 2010
Genre/s: YA, fantasy, faeries, romance
First line of Book:Laurel's shoes flipped a cheerful rhythm that defied her dark mood.
Review: "Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings."
Laurel's life is the definition of normal...until the morning when she wakes up to discover a flower blooming from her back. As it turns out, nothing in Laurel's life is what it seems. Now, with the help of an alluring faerie sentry (Tamani) who holds the key to her true past, Laurel must race to save her human family from the centuries-old faerie enemies who walk among them.

I was really enjoying this book till the last hundred pages or so. David is a very likable character and Laurel too. When Tamani was first introduced, I didn't like him. At all. I though he was a cocky pretentious arrogant faerie that though that he was a gift to the feminine sex.
Boy, I was wrong...
The end though, seemed quite rushed up though, to me. Laurel's attitudes were not consistent with the beginning of the book.
Rating:4/5
Quotes from book:
"So there's magic? Real magic? It's not just all scientific like David says?"
Tamani rolled his eyes. "David again?"
Laurel bristled. "He's my friend. My best friend."
"Not your boyfriend?"
"No. I mean...no."
Tamani stared at her for several seconds. "So the position's still open?"
Laurel rolled her eyes. "We are so not having this conversation."

"And do you really think someone's going to look at you and say, 'Hmm, I think that girl's a plant'?"

"Tamani paused and mulled this over for a few seconds. "If I say no, are you going to follow me anyway?"
"Of course."

"If your clothes are enough to drive would-be friends away, they're not the kind of friends you want."
Typical mother advice. Sweet, honest, and completely useless."

"Tamani?" she asked, even though she knew this was the wrong time. "How is a plant supposed to beat a superstrong troll?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wings.

06/23/2010 page 168
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vicki ~ no time to read hey, just wondering... what do you mean when you say that Laurel's attitude's weren't consistent? Gosh,I haven't read this book in soo long. Oh, and, do you like Tamani now?

Stray Eh, I don't remember it right now :*-) I do like tamani now, though I still prefer David

Vicki ~ no time to read Really? I loved Tamani from the beginning (one of those arrogant bad-but good boys), and David... I don't know... I feel like there's something off about him.

When are you reading Spells?

Stray I don't know, I'd like to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone first