Jen's Reviews > Memoirs of a Geisha

May 14, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended to Jen by: Robin
Read in November, 2007

My friend Robin sent this book to me shortly after I moved to Tokyo. It was hard to find English-language books at first, so she sent me a couple to keep me reading. I probably would not have been interested in Memoirs of a Geisha had I not just moved to Japan. But I found it to be one of the best books I've ever read.

When I first started reading the book, I wanted to see what Sayuri looked like, so I did a Google search. It was then that I realized the book I was reading was not a biography, but fiction. Had me fooled! Still, it's easy to imagine that it is a true story. Even though I've only lived in Tokyo for about two months, I see how all of this story could be completely true.

I love Golden's characters! Pumpkin is so funny. Some of the lines he gives her crack me up! And Sayuri, of course, is an incredible character. Through her stories I laughed and even cried a couple of times. The stories themselves were so plain, just as Japanese people truly speak. The fact that an American man wrote this (and I believe it was his first novel) still amazes me. You'd swear it was really the memoir of a geisha.

Several nights in a row I stayed up reading until 5am. I just couldn't get enough of this book. I guess partly because of the story, but also in part because there's a little bit of Sayuri in each of us.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Geisha.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin Rountree So glad you liked it!

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen By far one of the BEST books I've EVER read!

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you. I read it then went and bought the movie too. It's wonderful!!!!