Iffath's Reviews > Blood Ties

Blood Ties by Sophie McKenzie

Feb 27, 2010

Read in July, 2009

I thought that Blood Ties was a very challenging book because it's about cloning and wars. As this is a very rare subject, it was obvious that it would be different from Sophie’s other books. Blood Ties is about a Theo and Rachel who are the main characters. At first the two don’t know each other but as the story develops they meet, as Theo wants to learn more about his father after his mother, reveals that nearly all the things he thought he knew about his father, were lies. Theo wants to know why he has a bodyguard and attends a posh boy’s school when they live in a tiny house with worn-out furniture.
Rachel is the kind of person who is extremely nervous and self-conscious of herself. This may be explained because she is bullied because of her size. I liked this character because she wasn’t like one of those so-called ‘perfect’ girls, like Jemima, who had an ideal life. She also seems to live in the shadow of her sister Rebecca who died before Rachel was born. The fact that her parents are constantly are making comparisons between her and Rebecca doesn’t help the situation, but makes her feel even more depressed.
I thought this book flowed quite well and the book was very well thought out. I think that there wasn’t much descriptive language which could have given us a bit more of an image of what was going on.
One really good point about this book was I like how it ended – with Rachel and Theo not actually getting together because they are not allowed to know the exact location of the other to protect themselves. I liked this because it was less predictable and was a nice little twist.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Ties.

05/03 marked as: read