Jenny's Reviews > The First Rule

The First Rule by Robert Crais

861924
Feb 26, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010

The First Rule is the second book in the Joe Pike series by Robert Crais. This is the first book I've read by this author, and I was initially hesitant to read this without at least having read the first in the series. But it turned out it really didn't make a difference (that I could tell) and I am glad I took the chance and read this book!

Joe Pike learns of the murders of an old friend -- a fellow mercenary from their military days -- and his family. The police suspect the friend was "dirty" and that's why he was targeted as the 7th family in a line of home invasions. But Pike believes otherwise so he sets out to investigate the murders on his own. Not only does he use his sources to learn about the murders, while staying a step ahead of law enforcement the whole time, but he also ends up finding about a much more complicated plot involving a serbian mob and the lengths they will go to outdo their enemies.

The novel was fast paced without sacrificing the development of plot and/or characters that are often found in other similarly paced mystery/thrillers. The plot was involved (but not confusing) and had some surprising twists. I enjoyed how there was more than one "mystery" that had to be solved and how things kept unfolding. And I loved Joe Pike. Imagine Jack Bauer from 24... totally brave and physically capable, but also a good, well-intentioned guy, haha. It was so fun to read about a character like his. The sources he uses are sometimes a little too convenient, but it adds to the story and makes it fun to read.

I definitely recommend this book to those who love mystery/thrillers, actions, or shows like 24, haha.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Rule.