Wendy White's Reviews > Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters

Feb 27, 10

Recommended for: fans of Austen who've already read everything by Fforde
Read from February 26 to 27, 2010, read count: 1

I have not read the previous book in this series - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - but when it first came out I was not particularly interested. I've read Austen but her novels aren't really my kind of book. And while adding zombies is an amusing gimmick, I didn't think it would make the new take worth reading.

I was given this book for my birthday, and decided to give it a go despite my trepidations about the series, which turned out to be pretty much accurate.

The concept is amusing, but to me personally it would have worked better as a skit or short film rather than a book. Winters has made some entertaining additions to the plot (although I barely remember what the original was like) and he achieves what he set out to do. It's just what he set out to do isn't really enough to grab me. Your mileage may vary.

My favourite part at of the book is actually the "essay questions" at the end - those were entertaining. Also the crack about the Colonel's "appendages" towards the end of the book. Was disappointed that there weren't more naughty tentacles jokes. Would have given it 3 stars if there had been. Because I'm a bad person.

If you want a comedy relating to the works of Jane Austen, I'd recommend you read the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde - I've read the first two and they were a lot of fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.

02/26/2010 page 121
35.17% "it's mildly entertaining, would enjoy it more if I were a fan of the original. I hope Winters diverges from the original ending..."