Johnny's Reviews > The Sound and the Fury

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

Sep 03, 10

bookshelves: historical, south, ap-literature
Read from August 12 to 29, 2010

Not much to say on this one other than that it was a real challenge. I'm sure if I read it in college with a literature professor to unpack everything for me, I would absolutely adore this book, yet reading it on my own with nothing to keep my endurance than the embarrassment of not having finished it for my book club, I found it hardly enjoyable. Faulkner constructs some beautiful prose at times, but the narrative structure here is incredibly confusing. (Had I the time and the inclination, this would be a great second or third read, knowing what I do now having finished it once.) A friend showed me her copy, which includes an appendix that Faulkner wrote detailing intricate backstories and explanations for each character, an aid that would have been invaluable on my first reading. However, if such an appendix is necessary for mere comprehension, I wonder what the value is of crafting such ambiguous characters and situations is in the first place.

I definitely won't pick up another Faulkner book for a while, yet I still have this burning desire to read As I Lay Dying and a friend told me that it's not nearly as "difficult" a perhaps some day in the future I'll try to climb Faulkner's mountain again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound and the Fury.

08/15/2010 page 23
7.0% "I have no idea what is going on!"
08/17/2010 page 42
13.0% "I can't stomach more than a few pages of this book at a time. Will I ever finish?!"
08/20/2010 page 76
23.0% "Finally finished the first chapter! (Totally painful.)"
08/23/2010 page 180
55.0% "Finished second chapter. Slightly less irritating than the first, but not much."
08/26/2010 page 250
77.0% "Will it ever end?"
08/27/2010 page 275
84.0% "One more chapter!" 2 comments
08/29/2010 page 321
98.0% "Done! Review to follow shortly! :-)"

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I'd be nervous to read many people compared it to Lark and Termite.

Johnny I know! My book club is reading it, so I'm going to struggle through it. Then I'm on to Half of a Yellow Sun!