Renee's Reviews > Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Mar 06, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, ya
Read from March 03 to 06, 2010

** spoiler alert ** In Hush, Hush, generally confused teen protagonist Nora Grey battles with her mixed feelings about fallen angel Patch...for the better part of 300 pages. This is followed by an out of control romp and an ending that is...well, you can decide for yourself.

The thing is, for the first half of this book I was really intrigued - and then I started to really think about it.

If this had been a novel about a sixteen year-old girl having such strong feelings (including raw, animal attraction) to a thirty year-old human man, a difference of fourteen years, it would be appropriately described as gross. This book, along with Twilight and Gillian Shields' Immortal to name a few, ask us to be happy with sixteen or seventeen year-old girls falling in love with well over one-hundred year-old non-human males simply because they look like they are also teenagers.

Even further, there are respect issues in all of these books that need to be addressed. I will address Hush, Hush here because, well, this is my Hush, Hush review. Patch is dark, handsome, and mysterious. He is also patently domineering, obsessive, plays literal mind games and in general displays behavior that really is not respectful to Nora...and she eats it up. At one point he notes that one of the three things he loves about her is the fact that she is "vulnerable." After I got through the first half of the book (in which I waited and waited for him to get better) I was quite unsettled. This is the kind of thing that girls all over are idealizing as the perfect relationship (I would love for someone to do a case study to see if this affects these girls ten or twenty years down the road).

Sigh, I think I am going to make it a point to read a non-fantasy YA novel to see if the human guys these protagonists end up with are more or less disturbing. It is a good thing that I am years and years away from having a teenager of my own. I would go crazy trying to counteract the "ideal" being perpetuated here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush, Hush.