Melindeeloo's Reviews > Scorched

Scorched by Sharon Ashwood

I didn't really remember the first book, Ravenous, too well when I picked this up, which was a bit of a disadvantage since the leading man in this one appeared in the last book - Mac was the cop who had been turned into a flesh craving demon but who was saved to some extent by a spell cast by Holly which leashed his demon.

Mac is really quite appealing in this book, he's lost everything but is very heroic, and despite his demon he is still by nature a protector. Which is fortunate for his heroine, since Constance, a partially turned vamp who thinks she needs blood to gain her full powers in order to save her imprisoned foster son, and who wants him for his blood initially, instead gets Mac for a champion.

Scorched was interesting, but unexpected for two reasons. First, since a great deal of the story takes place in the Castle, a prison for supernaturals which lies outside of our world most of the book had a more fantasy feel. And second, for some reason I thought this series was urban fantasy, not paranormal romance, so I was surprise that Alessandro and Holly weren't the main focus of the story.

Despite my expectations, I still liked Scorched though and I probably would have like the book even more if I had read the first book more recently, because it took me a bit to come back up to speed on the characters and the world. Still, once I read enough to jog my memory, I enjoyed seeing Holly and Alessandro and watching their struggle to deal with Holly's vampire hunting sister who shows up and plans to stake Alessandro.

But there is one upside to having waited so long to read Scorched, I already have Unchained in hand and I am totally up to speed and ready to see Holly's sister take the lead.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorched.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) After having this on my TBR for literally years this is surprisingly a good series.

Melindeeloo I liked these too, my favorite one was Frostbitten though. A really liked that book's hero.