Bibliophile's Reviews > The House on Fortune Street

422087
Mar 09, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, fiction
Read on March 06, 2010

I must shamefacedly admit that I confused Margot Livesey with Penelope Lively when I purchased this book! After having read The House on Fortune Street however, I can only thank serendipity for my own confusion because it was a brilliant and moving novel. Told from the perspective of four different characters, Sean, Cameron, Dara and Abigail, we learn what leads up to the central, tragic event that occurs a short way into the book. Each of the characters has a literary godfather or godmother: Sean is writing his Ph.D. on Keats; Cameron has a strange affinity for Lewis Caroll; Dara is sadly drawn to Virginia Woolf and Charlotte Brontë; and Abigail's grandfather imbued her with a love for Dickens. Livesey draws these disparate characters into a beautiful whole; I was constantly being surprised by the characters (in good ways) because just when I'd decided that I didn't like someone, I would be granted a glimpse into their past that made me understand them much better. The novel is one that will stick with you, even though nothing much "happens" during its course. And I think I will want to read some more by Margot Livesey!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House on Fortune Street.

03/06/2010 page 157

Catherine Siemann This is in my tbr pile, so I hope you'll review it.

Bibliophile Catherine wrote: "This is in my tbr pile, so I hope you'll review it."

Heh! Review is done. It's really, really good - I think you will like it. She manages to make characters sympathetic who wouldn't at first glance appear to be so!