Read In Colour's Reviews > Mother-Daughter Duet: Getting to the Relationship You Want with Your Adult Daughter

Mother-Daughter Duet by Cheri Fuller

Mar 05, 10

Read from February 26 to March 04, 2010

I was hesitant to read this when I saw the subtitle of Mother-Daughter Duet is "Getting to the Relationship You Want with Your Adult Daughter," but I realized as an adult daughter, it might be helpful in understanding my relationship with my mother. Written by real life mother-daughter duo Cheri Fuller and Ali Plum, this book offers nothing we don't already know, but it presents different ways of looking at situations.

Daughters, how many times as an adult has your mother corrected you or added her two cents even when you didn't ask or want it? Mothers, how many times have you commented on something your daughter is wearing or some other miscellaneous thing, only to have her fly into a full blown rant which ends with her stomping out of the room or house? As a daughter, did you pledge to raise your daughter differently from the way you were raised, only to find that you've raised her the same way you were raised and now she pledges the same? Every mother-daughter relationship you can imagine is touched upon here.

While reading I found myself thinking back on the relationship I have with my mother versus the relationship my younger sister has with her. I'm sixteen years older than my sister so I've known my mother at a different phase of her life and I deal with her accordingly. I watch my sister shoot herself in the foot over and over again because she misinterprets what my mother is saying or won't take the time to talk things out civilly. I'm not letting my mother off the hook though. I'm fully aware that at times she says things to get a reaction, other times she's unaware that her words or actions are hurtful. I've learned to differentiate between the two and react accordingly. I'm passing a copy of this book on to both my mother and my sister in hopes that they'll read it and learn the difference.

I'm recommending this book to every woman that's a parent and/or the daughter of a living mother. No matter how strong or weak your relationship is with your parent or your daughter, there's something to be learned here.

I loved the fact that it was told from the perspective of both mother and daughter. It made for a more complete understanding of the relationship that exists between the two. Both authors seemed to be very open and honest about the roles they've played.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mother-Daughter Duet.