Jeni Bell's Reviews > Something Like Fate

Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti

F_50x66
Mar 02, 10

Read from February 26 to 27, 2010

Susane Colasanti’s SOMETHING LIKE FATE is the story of a girl who falls in love with her best friend’s boyfriend and struggles between the urge to give in to her feelings and the desire to be true to the friend who once protected her from harm.

Everyone can see that Lani and her best friend Erin’s new boyfriend, Jason, were meant to be together—everyone, it seems, except Erin, who is oblivious to the chemistry Lani and Jason share from the moment Erin introduces them to each other, and Lani, who can’t deny the attraction she has for Jason, yet won’t allow herself to believe that he has feelings for her, too. But two months after they meet – just as Erin is leaving for summer camp – Lani and Jason can no longer ignore the feelings they have for each other.

Lani knows she’s found her soul mate in Jason, who breaks up with Erin while Erin is away at camp to pursue a relationship with Lani. Lani and Jason are determined to keep the relationship secret until Erin returns home from camp and they can tell her the truth. “My life finally has the chance to be everything I’ve always wanted it to be,” Lani says. But as the summer comes to an end and Erin returns home, it’s clear that breaking the news to Erin will be harder than either Lani or Jason could have imagined. Lani is forced to choose between her own happiness and her loyalty to a friend with whom she’ll always be connected.

SOMETHING LIKE FATE is an I-love-him-but-I-shouldn't story that pulls you in from the first chapter. I found myself cheering for Lani when it was clear to everyone but her that Jason had a crush on her, cheering when Jason finally told Lani how he felt about her, cheering when they finally have their secret summer romance (although the way in which he broke up with Erin irked me, just a little), and holding onto hope for both Lani and Jason later, when Erin returns home. I cheered so much for Lani and Jason, I felt as though I was breathless when I finished this novel.

One of my favorite sections of dialogue is when Blake describes Jason's attraction to an oblivious Lani:

"I have never seen a boy look at you that way."

"What way?"

"Like he wants to lick you up."

"Stop."

"Lick you up like a sweet little ice cream cone."

"Can we not?"

"Like he was stranded in the desert."

"This is so messed up."

"We can't help who we like."

"I don't like him!"

SOMETHING LIKE FATE will be released May 4. I highly recommend it.

* Full disclosure: I received an ARC of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Like Fate.

02/26/2010 page 150