Holly's Reviews > Dead After Dark

Dead After Dark by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Feb 26, 10

bookshelves: 144-books-in-2010, february-2010, read-in-2010
Read on February 25, 2010

After re-reading Night Play the other day, I was curious to know who Fury's heroine was and how his story played out. I'm sorry to report this was one of the worst novellas I've ever read.

Angelia, Fury's heroine, is a small minded, judgmental bitch. She treated Fury abominably and refused to accept the responsibility for her actions. She was his best friend as they were growing up, yet as soon as she realized Fury was Katagaria (his base form is wolf) instead of Arcadia (human base form) she stabbed him and left him for dead.

Now, 400 years later, she and her cohorts have a weapon that will keep weres from changing forms and make their magic useless. They kidnap Fury to find out what he knows about it, and begin torturing him when he won't tell them. This goes on for hours. Angelia doesn't actually participate in the torture, but she sees and hears it. After they brand him, she finally steps in and takes Fury away.

Not my idea of a good heroine.

Fury was his same adorable self throughout the book, but the fact that he was paired with someone who betrayed him so badly really makes me angry. Fury had never known love or acceptance. I find it really hard to believe he's going to get it from this backstabbing, self-righteous bitch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead After Dark.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Holly It really was. It's too bad. Fury deserved better.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I really like Fury. I agree, he should have gotten a nicer heroine.

message 4: by Barbara M. (new) - added it

Barbara M. I gave up on Kenyon after Dream Warrior (#18 in the never ending series)...I just kept getting madder and madder at the large print, half the story at the same price books...Blah!

Holly Barbara,

I gave up on her after Dark Side of the Moon. I just couldn't take it anymore. The direction she started heading was way too off the wall. I didn't even read Acheron.

The pricing/print size issues just made it worse.

message 6: by Barbara M. (new) - added it

Barbara M. I think she should have ended the series with Acheron (it was brilliant by the way), but after that it seemed to just turn into money making junk machine. I'm glad I'm not alone in this...I felt like such an outcast.

Tyia i think you guys should just hang in there with her. She's one of the few paranormal romance authors out there that has a huge unseen plot outside of small couple plots. She's setting up for a war I think. And she has to get all of her people/couples together in order to take on the gods.
And the publishers probably want her to extent the stories because of great sales.
I'm not going to give her up yet.
She's still one of my favorite imaginative paranormal authors.

message 8: by Barbara M. (new) - added it

Barbara M. Tyia...I tried, I really did. I invested in 18 novels from this lady...and I just can't stomach spending anymore money on her work. She used to be one of my favorites, but it just got boring and repetetive. But I'm glad you're still enjoying her work. I hope she continues to entertain you. Take care girl!

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ I know I'm late with this but I so agree with your review. Lia is one of the worst heroines I've ever read about. The story was horrible. Sexy, adorable Fury deserved so much better in my opinion!