Emily Dy's Reviews > Banker to the Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty

Banker to the Poor by Muhammad Yunus

Sep 25, 11

bookshelves: advocacy, poverty
Read from April 04 to 16, 2010 — I own a copy
BCID: 10174303

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Banker to the Poor.

Quotes Emily Liked

Muhammad Yunus
“..things are never as complicated as they seem. It is only our arrogance that prompts us to find unnecessarily complicated answers to simple problems.”
Muhammad Yunus, Banker to the Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty

Muhammad Yunus
“Like navigation markings in unknown waters, definitions of poverty need to be distinctive and unambiguous. A definition that is not precise is as bad as no definition at all.”

Muhammad Yunus
“What I did not know yet about hunger, but would find out over the next twenty-one years, was that brilliant theorists of economics do not find it worthwhile to spend time discussing issues of poverty and hunger. They believe that these will be resolved when general economic prosperity increases. These economists spend all their talents detailing the process of development and prosperity, but rarely reflect on the origin and development of poverty and hunger. A a result, poverty continues.”

Muhammad Yunus
“When a destitute mother starts earning an income, her dreams of success invariably center around her children. A woman's second priority is the household. She wants to buy utensils, build a stronger roof, or find a bed for herself and her family. A man has an entirely different set of priorities. When a destitute father earns extra income, he focuses more attention on himself. Thus money entering a household through a woman brings more benefits to the family as a whole.”

Muhammad Yunus
“Poverty does not belong in civilized human society. Its proper place is in a museum. That's where it will be.”

Muhammad Yunus
“Even today we don't pay serious attention to the issue of poverty, because the powerful remain relatively untouched by it. Most people distance themselves from the issue by saying that if the poor worked harder, they wouldn't be poor.”

Muhammad Yunus
“When we want to help the poor, we usually offer them charity. Most often we use charity to avoid recognizing the problem and finding the solution for it. Charity becomes a way to shrug off our responsibility. But charity is no solution to poverty. Charity only perpetuates poverty by taking the initiative away from the poor. Charity allows us to go ahead with our own lives without worrying about the lives of the poor. Charity appeases our consciences.”

Muhammad Yunus
“...one cannot but wonder how an environment can make people despair and sit idle and then, by changing the conditions, one can transform the same people into matchless performers.”

Muhammad Yunus
“Th direct elimination of elimination of poverty should be the objective of all development aid. Development should be viewed as a human rights issue, not as a question of simply increasing the gross national product (GNP).”

Muhammad Yunus
“If you go out into the real world, you cannot miss seeing that the poor are poor not because they are untrained or illiterate but because they cannot retain the returns of their labor. They have no control over capital, and it is the ability to control capital that gives people the power to rise out of poverty.”

Muhammad Yunus
“The fact that the poor are alive is clear proof of their ability.”

Muhammad Yunus
“UN studies conducted in more than forty developing countries show that the birth rate falls as women gain equality... I believe income-earning opportunities that empower poor women ... will have more impact on curbing population growth that the current system of "encouraging" family planning practices through intimidation tactics.. Family planning should be left to the family.”

Muhammad Yunus
“I believe that the emphasis on curbing population growth diverts attention from the more vital issue of pursuing policies that allow the population to take care of itself.”

Muhammad Yunus
“The process of breaking down fear was always my greatest challenge and it was made easier by the careful work and gentle voices of my female workers.”

Muhammad Yunus
“People.. were poor not because they were stupid or lazy. They worked all day long, doing complex physical tasks. They were poor because the financial institution in the country did not help them widen their economic base.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rommel (new) - added it

Rommel you read such good books my friend, congrats! I am putting this one on my to read books for sure:)

Emily Dy Happy to share my favorite titles with you :) I reviewed this one on my blog by the way -

message 3: by Rommel (new) - added it

Rommel thanks,,,nice review by the way:)