Jkdaun's Reviews > Benny & Shrimp

Benny & Shrimp by Katarina Mazetti

U_50x66
Feb 26, 10

Read in February, 2010

Quarky, funny, and heart warming, an original. I was going to give this book a three but have to upgrade it to a four. The characters are staying with me, making me wish they could find a way to be together. They are just so right for each other despite all that is wrong. Two unique polar characters in there own right that should never be a good match prove to be a soul match. Despite their totally different lifestyles and personal philosphies, these two give each other something we all as humans crave: an acceptance and completeness so fulfilling it is as equally painful as it is delightful. A farmer, Benny, who needs a Gerta: a strong farm hand that loves to cook, keep house, and raise children and a blue stock librarian, Shrimp, who needs a Lucan: a cultured, haute-taude, artistic vegetarian. I have definately been proven a romatic. I found myself wanting them to make the necessary comprimises for this passion, this closeness, this love well over any feminine objective of maintaining ones personal independence and identity. They both have the opportunity to settle down with the people who on paper are a perfect match. The ones that would make their life easier. The ones who would be in-line with their current lives. The logical choice. Why is that not fulling? It would make so much more sense. But they don't. Once they have found each other and been awakened, there is no un-knowing that passion.

The ending is a bit of a twist. They break up but she asks him to get her pregnant. This is a Swedish book after all...so I guess that could happen. It does make you want to read the sequel. Which I guess is written but not yet translated from Swedish. I anxiously await. I must find out what becomes of this relationship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Benny & Shrimp.